Thursday, December 30, 2010

Swearing in Ceremony

The following is an excerpt from a letter home:
"Just shooting a quick message out there that I have finally arrived at my official site in jungle (Grano de Oro) and I am here to stay for the next 2 years.  Also I thought people would appreciate a photo update which I have attached.  It is taken at our swearing in ceremony at the US ambassador's residents in San Jose.  It was a great ceremony, although I wasn't expecting that part of the oath would be "to defend the constitution of the United States"... but I guess that was a nice touch, and it was fun to hear the kind of words and enthusiasm from our directors.

Now is going to start an interesting Christmas session in a new house with a new family and a totally different scene then what I have gotten used to around the capital.  I am still trying to find my place in this house and there is a short list of people in the village (actually only maybe 2) that I can really lean on for some direction.  For those of you who don't know, my site is an indigenous village of about 1500.  Unfortunately the Christmas season in this country brings everything to a screeching halt, so I really hope that some organization comes up that I can simply jump into and try get my name passed around. 

Fun things that could only happen here: on my bus ride up Grano de Oro yesturday part of the way we had to get pulled by a tractor (the road was falling part...its cool.. no biggy), got woken up this morning by the sound of the "chicken truck" where a man come through selling chickens too old to lay eggs for a dollar a head (presumably to kill for food), in order to open a new mailbox we had to make 4 trips back and forth through Turrialba... along the way we found a source of dutch cookies!"

No comments:

Post a Comment